LATCHFORD HOUSE OF MEMORIES (1931)
Contains more than 2,000 exhibits ranging from 19th century housewares to lumbering and blacksmith tools, World War I and II memorabilia; railway exhibits to geological specimens. Please enjoy the new easy to access archives of historic pictures, videos, and audio from former residents and significant events in Latchford found on a new computer system in the museum.
Also Available – A Walk Through Sawdust City (Latchford) by George L. Lefebvre
This project was funded by Ontario Trillium Foundation.
MEMORY LANEIt should be noted that this 10-room house contains many artifacts dating back to the early 1900s and on to the more recent past of the 1970s and 1980s. There is interesting reading material, which unfortunately is in very fragile condition and must be handled with care, such as school and church records and pictures of all kinds.
THE RECENT STORYVery recently, the exterior and windows of the House of Memories Museum were completly renovated with a grant from Human Resources Development Canada (HRDC), keeping the original integrity of the building at all times.
AND THE PEOPLE CAMELatchford was a leader in the logging and forestry industry, drawing folks from all walks of life. It was from Latchford that the mining industry developed and made use of the products produced here in the mills of the forest industries.
Latchford was incorporated on July 15th 1907 and was a vigorous and active community, coping with the ups and downs of bust and boom into the 1960s.
REMEMBERINGThe House of memories was established by a small, courageous group of citizens in 1967 as a Centennial project. Many family memories are housed here to bring a warm and loving community to life once again.
TODAYIn the early 21st Century, there is a sense of pride in a glorious and colourful past and those who made it possible
Museum Entry Fees (suject to change without notice)
Bus Tours: $25.00
LOGGERS HALL OF FAME
Re-live a lumberjack’s day in the 1940’s:
- “H-style” bunkhouse & cookery
- ice house
- blacksmith shop
- “Walter Green” circular sawmill
- log jammer and logging sleighs
- handetched white pine reproductions of the founders, builders and workers in the camps and mills of Ontario’s Forestry Industry
- photos, tools and memorabilia
SGT. AUBREY COSENS VC MEMORIAL BRIDGE
Sgt. Cosens is Latchford’s own World War II Hero, and he received the Victoria Cross for his bravery and sacrifice of his life for our country.
The Veteran’s Park is located alongside of the highway bridge and is an irresistible picnic and rest area overlooking the Montreal River rapids.
On May 31st 1986, the Town of Latchford honoured a son of the north and a magnificent Canadian, Sgt. Aubrey Cosens V.C.
SGT. AUBREY COSENS
A year after taking this job, the Second World War broke out and Aubrey attempted to join the RCAF and was rejected because he was considered too young. In 1940 he joined The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada and later transferred to The Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada, and was in August 1944, part of the D-day reinforcements in Normandy, France.
Early on February 26th 1945, his unit attacked enemy forces at Mooshof, Germany which was a strategic position vial to the success of future military operations.
His platoon suffered heavy casualties and Cosens assumed command. Supported by a tank, he led another attack against three enemy strong points, which he captured and took a number of prisoners single-handed. While on his way to report this victory to his commander, Aubrey was killed by an enemy sniper at the age of 23.
For his outstanding gallantry, initiative and determined leadership, Sgt. Aubrey Cosens was posthumously awarded our Country’s and Commonwealth’s highest declaration for valour: “THE VICTORIA CROSS”.
Only 16 Canadians were awarded the Victoria Cross in the Second World War.
WORLD’S SHORTEST COVERED BRIDGE
The Bridge is 11 feet, 3 inches (3.4 m) long along the roof ridge, though the water covering is only 4 feet of that across a concrete culvert. The bridge holds one lane of traffic, and one lane of walkers.