If you believe that your assessment is incorrect, you should first contact the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) to discuss your assessment or verify details about your property. If you still have concerns, you may ask MPAC for a formal reconsideration of your assessment. There is no fee for a Request for Reconsideration (RFR). The request may be made at any time during the year for that year. You can obtain an RFR application on the MPAC web site ( or by calling 1-866-296-MPAC (6722).

If you wish to file an appeal with the Assessment Review Board (ARB). The deadline for filing annual assessment complaints for the 2007 taxation year is April 2, 2007. After that date, a Request for Reconsideration remains your only option. The ARB is an independent tribunal of the Province of Ontario. Full details on how to appeal your assessment to the ARB may be obtained through their web site (

A tax account is only adjusted when the Town is notified of the change in assessment by MPAC or the ARB. It is recommended that taxes continue to be paid while an appeal or reconsideration is underway to avoid penalty and interest charges in the event that the appeal or reconsideration is not successful. There may be a significant delay between the time an assessment is appealed and a decision is rendered.

As taxes are a lien on property, adjustments resulting from appeals are applied to the property tax account at the time of determination. If you have an outstanding reconsideration or appeal, and are selling your property, please ensure your lawyer makes provision for readjustment of taxes subsequent to your closing date.